Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Navigate Up
Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksANSR > FAQs


Reimbursements by transfer

​The ANSR has several means of contact to validate and reimburse incorrect payments (due to overpayment or due to an administrative decision) or to return the guarantee. The request for reimbursement of an overpayment must be sent only by the offenderhimself and never by third parties. The reimbursement shall be made only by bank transfer. 

What to do in case of a mistake in payment of the fine

To facilitate the process of reimbursement, we will explain to you then the necessary steps:

1. The offender should contact the National Road Safety Authority (ANSR) requesting the respective return through the following means: 

- Via e-mail:

- Via mail to:

National Road Safety Authority

Management and Operations Support Group

Tagus Park - Avª Casal de Cabanas

Urbanização Cabanas Golf nº 1

2734-507 Barcarena

2. He must make certain that the following elements are sent:

- copy of infraction document (document no., in the case of a guarantee);

- copy of proof of payment;

- No. of Identification Document or Citizen Card;

- Taxpayer no.;

​- Bank identification number.

Note: Only after receipt of the above documentation will be possible to return the amount in question.